including international development jobs
Home Employers Hotjobs Today About Us
Copyright 2016. All rights reserved. This information or any parts thereof may not be reproduced in any form without the prior written permission of the Publisher. Lisa L. Hystad, Publisher.
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT, GLOBAL PARTNERSHIPS
HSS is now seeking an AVP, Global Partnerships to further expand and strengthen these global partnerships. Additionally, the AVP will new explore opportunities for collaboration and assess unsolicited inquiries with the objective being to advance orthopedic and musculoskeletal medicine globally. The AVP will support the hospital- wide strategic goals through consultative partnerships and advisory services in clinical, research, and academic areas helping to promote growth, extend, and elevate the HSS brand worldwide. The AVP will report directly to the Senior Vice President, Global and Academic Affairs and work collaboratively with the Education and Global Affairs Division and the global ventures staff. S/he will manage a current staff of two. The position entails traveling in the U.S. and internationally.
• Master's Degree in Health Administration, International Affairs, Public Health, an M.B.A. or related field is required.
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
• A professional with significant management/leadership experience (minimum 5- plus years) in healthcare is required. General experience in academic, multi-specialty institutions, with some knowledge of orthopedics, is highly desirable.
• Experience in international business and partnerships; fluency in foreign language(s) is a plus.
• Partnering, negotiating, and contracting skills in all sectors of business, academia, government, and NGOs.
• Broad-based business sense, with strategic insight and proven success in creating business strategies and implementing them to achieve goals.
• Excellent business assessment skills; capable of synthesizing complex data and making sound recommendations.
• Experience resolving issues through innovative problem solving and solution development. Possesses a continuous-improvement mind-set.
• Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills; demonstrated success at cultivating good working relationships for/with C-suite and Boards, as well as with government officials and physicians.
• Excellent leadership skills and experience managing a department through well- established performance management skills. Proven success in developing a high- performance work environment and culture with a highly diverse workforce.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate and influence a variety of people and audiences. Experience writing compelling proposals and making effective presentations to a variety of audiences. (Writing/presentation samples will be required.)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
IAVI is recruiting for a Program Coordinator to serve as primary point of contact and key relationship manager for the US Agency for International Development (USAID) on the implementation of a new and transformative Africa-centered model of global partnership to Accelerate the Development of Vaccines and New Technologies to Combat the AIDS Epidemic (ADVANCE). Funded by USAID under a new $160 million cooperative agreement, this flagship initiative will dramatically accelerate development of a safe and effective HIV vaccine.
The Program Coordinator will play a critical implementing role for this new program, maintaining comprehensive financial, program and technical knowledge related to the full scope of activities under the cooperative agreement. He/she will coordinate the development of annual USAID workplans and reports, serve day-to-day project management needs across the ADVANCE Leadership Team, provide technical and implementation support to the Project Director (IAVI President & CEO, Mark Feinberg, MD, PhD) and other senior leaders on the project, and maintain strategic communication and regular contact with USAID. In support of the ADVANCE Leadership Team, this position will also play an important facilitating role for strategic alliances and co-funded activities with other funders and external research collaborators, including partners at the Wellcome Trust, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and other US Government agencies involved in vaccine research, for example.
This position resides in the Executive Office of IAVI's Research & Development (R&D) Department, as part of the R&D Portfolio Management and Operations Team. This team has responsibility for integrating IAVI programs with organizational strategy, which provides a unique opportunity for the Program Coordinator to engage with all aspects of IAVI's R&D program. He/she will report to the Executive Director, R&D Portfolio Management and Operations, and work closely with the Executive Director for Global Public Giving, located in IAVI's External Relations Department. As noted above the Program Coordinator will collaborate closely with IAVI's President and CEO and other individuals across the organization, including especially IAVI's East Africa Office in Nairobi, Kenya, as well as key staff in Finance & Administration.
• Maintain comprehensive financial, program and technical knowledge related to the full scope of activities within ADVANCE, including collaborating with colleagues across IAVI departments (R&D, Finance & Administration, External Relations) and working closely with IAVI regional offices in East Africa and India
• Serve as primary point of contact for USAID program managers and relevant stakeholders
• Serve day-to-day project management needs across the ADVANCE Leadership Team and provide technical and implementation support to the Project Director (Dr. Feinberg) and other senior leaders on the project
• Maintain primary responsibility for coordinating development of annual workplans for implementing USAID-supported activities, reporting on the implementation of these activities and executing the daily coordination of and strategic communication for ADVANCE
• Coordinate and communicate with research collaborators and donors on strategic alliances and discussions on co-funded activities
Experience and Skills:
• Master's or PhD degree in a relevant discipline (biological sciences, business, management, economics, law, international relations, public health or a related area)
• At least 8 years of professional experience coordinating, managing or implementing biomedical research projects
• Demonstrated broad understanding of vaccine research and development program, including necessary elements of epidemiology, clinical and field vaccine trials, project management, financial management, knowledge management, strategic coordination and communication
• Demonstrated experience as project manager with a strong eye for detail, analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to take initiative as new situations and opportunities arise
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to prioritize and produce high quality work under challenging deadlines
• Good interpersonal skills with proven ability to develop relationships and work collaboratively in teams with others from a range of disciplines and cultures
• Professional experience interacting with US Government agencies, advocacy groups, policymakers, local collaborators and host governments is preferred
• Experience using Microsoft Office and knowledge management programs
To apply: www.iavi.org
MANAGER - ORGANIZATIONAL PROGRAMS MANAGEMENT (OPM)
• Establishing an integrated approach to HIV vaccine and prevention research and development, linking an understanding of at risk communities with the most potentially relevant interventions.
• Bringing new capabilities and innovation to the field through novel collaborations to accelerate product development
• Prioritizing approaches that have the greatest potential impact on HIV vaccine and prevention efforts towards diminishing and ultimately ending the epidemic
Our strategic focus revolves around four pillars namely: 1) Engaging the communities most at-risk of HIV infection; 2) Providing an integrated product development platform to accelerate the translation of promising concepts into HIV vaccine candidates for the field; 3) Investing in high potential discovery programs that could transform HIV vaccine development and beyond; 4) Generating supportive data and messages to drive policies and investments that will end the epidemic.
IAVI requires a high energy, highly organized manager to provide project management support to the Executive Office. The successful candidate will oversee the OPM function within the Executive Office, working across the organization to coordinate activities, manage special projects and research emerging topics and opportunities, including timely implementation and follow through on assignments emanating from the CEO and the Senior Management Team (SMT). The OPM will support the CEO for key external meetings and implementing Strategic Alliances by liaising with relevant program staff, developing appropriate materials and communicating outcomes of the meetings. The Senior Manager - OPM will attend and coordinate key leadership meetings, follow up and track tasks and project and communicate key actions and ensure stakeholders are briefed and brought into conversations as appropriate. In addition, the Senior Manager - OPM will prepare materials and presentations that may be needed for internal and external audiences and key meetings.
The Senior Manager, OPM must embrace the mission of IAVI and model its core values. To effectively perform in this position, she/he will need to develop the appropriate relationships and build credibility throughout the organization.
The specific responsibilities and expectations of the Senior Manager, OPM include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manage weekly leadership team meetings and quarterly retreats, including agenda development, ensuring supportive content is prepared and communicating key outcomes and conducting follow up as needed to help track progress.
• Develop a robust tracking framework to ensure implementation of leadership decisions and actions including providing data for the necessary dashboards and other reporting mechanisms
• Support the CEO in external engagements and strategic alliances, ensuring appropriate materials are developed, teams are engaged and information is disseminated
• Research emerging topics and opportunities on a wide range of global health related topics and help articulate IAVI's activities and value preposition for internal and external audiences.
• Execute special projects for the EO
• Help ensure leadership team decisions are communicated throughout the organization to ensure the teams are better able to accomplish their goals.
• Developing engaging, visually-appealing presentations;
• Communicate flawlessly in both written and verbal form
• Proven ability to operate within a matrix organization, preferably within a scientific, medical, or clinical research organization.
• Comfortable with ambiguity and complexity. Innovative.
• Excellent at managing relationships and operating within the formal and informal organizational structures, establishes relationships across departments, uses allies to build consensus and create results, is appropriately diplomatic, understands others roles and perspectives, can sell projects and ideas across the organization.
• Self-starting, results-driven person with the necessary analytic rigor, stamina, and strength to represent her/his point of view objectively and to respond to numerous demands and challenges.
• Sense of urgency - Prioritizes well, shows energy, reacts to opportunities, instills urgency in others, and consistently meets deadlines.
• Capable of representing IAVI to a wide variety of audiences. Adjusts her/his writing to the audience and communicates complex messages and issues clearly.
• Working knowledge and experience in project management desired but not mandatory.
• Passionate about the mission of IAVI, enthused by the challenges confronting the organization and dedicated to achieving its goals.
• Possesses a sense of humor. Works collaboratively to achieve results.
• MSc, MPH or MBA required;
• 5+ years of professional experience at progressively senior levels.
• Ability to understand and effectively communicate complex scientific concepts
• Experience in a competitive, fast paced and global environment necessary.
• Strong analytical skills, ability to reconcile initiatives with business strategies and goals.
• Constituency-building skills and savvy.
IAVI operates as an intense mission driven organization trying to solve one of the most difficult and important scientific and policy challenges of our time, as a result passion for the mission is a critical attribute.
To apply: www.iavi.org